Tuesday 18 February 2014

A journey best measured in friends








In what universe is it possible, that, in a 12 dorm room at a youth hostel, that only 11 people wake up because of a very loud alarm at 6 in the morning? And in what universe is it fair, that of the 11 people that wake up, none of those are the actual owner of the intrusive alarm? Dice, this happened AGAIN in Amsterdam as it did in America, but this time with 11 people. When all 11 people are grunting and sitting up in their beds but the poor sod who’s alarm is going nuts is still fast asleep, there has to be some injustice in the world.
 








But, then again, judging by the state of the hostel I was staying in, I couldn’t really be too surprised. In a scale of hostel-rating; the sheets were stained, the shower was full with mould, the bathroom was a single non-air-ventilated room, the heating was scarce and the smell of marijuana and smoke had seeped into every porous object in the hostel. The staff seemed to be a, rather, errr…slow shall I say. The simplest of tasks seemed to take them a long time to thoroughly think through, of which then they would slowly and inadequately perform. But I suppose their spaced out attitude was understood as soon as you gave any attention to their eyes.
 








Nonetheless, since Serena had eventually stopped being a permanent resident by my bed and plodded on home last night, I was NOW UP EARLY and so I braved the weather to head to The Royal Theatre and the notorious Skinny Bridge.
Then, meeting up with Kirsten for lunch, we headed to a café for a bite to eat and Heineken, WHICH, is actually a Dutch beer.
 








Amsterdam feels like a home away from home. I’m so far removed from everything, and I’ve scarcely been contactable, and I’ve been busy with meeting people and formulating plans. I don’t feel homesick at all, and I thought I may have been ready to go home, but turns out I’m not quite. I’ve still got many more people to see and places to travel. The time Kirsten and I spent at college together has made it feel like we’ve been friends for a lot longer. We lived together, she was just down the hall from me, we often ate together, cooking in someone’s apartment, or at the dining hall. We partied together, went to events together, travelled to different states together. When you live and breathe with someone, the time means something more, and I’m so glad to have been able to spend the day with her. After lunch we went to ‘The Dungeon’ which is an interactive museum with actors and such, that goes through Amsterdam’s history with a ‘spooky’ touch. We sure were spooked alright. We shopped and gossiped, before eating Dutch pea soup for dinner at a Dutch restaurant. I had booked us a couple of tickets for an evening boat cruise around the canals, as Kirsten said that if there was one way to see Amsterdam…that was it.
 








The lights of the city reflecting on the water was the perfect way to end my time in Amsterdam. The canals are lit up with lights, and the river houses line the canals, of which you get a peep into the lives of the rich and famous who chill out in the million-dollar residences. We passed all the houseboats, which to me seems like such a way to live; floating on the water, in fully-equipped modern apartments, of average size, with electricity, gas and all you could hope for. They’ve got little garden decks on the water, and pot plants often adorn the roofs. They pay ‘rent’ for the space in the canal which they occupy, and to me, it seems just wonderful. So sweet. We passed the cars parked dangerously close to the water’s edge…did I mention that apparently on average one car a week falls into the canals in Amsterdam?!
 








After our romantic waterside adventure, I couldn’t help but formulate a hundred new travel adventures in my head, all of which involved boats and/or houseboats. I suppose one could say that I had been inspired.
 








Our day was still not over. Kirsten showed me an old, vintage cinema in Amsterdam, that had traditional theatrical-building style halls and a fabulous foyer, so armed with popcorn we headed in for a movie around 10pm. (‘American Hustle’, if anybody cares to know).
After midnight it was a trudge back to the train station, and then suddenly, standing on the road in the middle of Amsterdam – it was time to say goodnight my friend.
 



Night cruising



Kirsten, if you read this, I hope you know how much I appreciate you taking all the time to hang out with me, and just how much fun I’ve had with you in Amsterdam. You’re brilliant beyond imaginable, and I feel blessed to have met you~
 


No comments:

Post a Comment