Wednesday 12 February 2014

I have friends in Amsterdam

It’s really cool to be able to say that.

“Where are you going next?”
“To Amsterdam.”
“Oh.”
“Yes, I have friends in Amsterdam.”


I have a few really sweet and wonderful and awesome people to meet up with in Amsterdam, people I’ve met in the last 6 months. Serena, my Dutch friend of whom I met in LA when I first arrived in America, and we then hit it off straight away and spent most of the week together (you can check out the very first posts if you’re inclined, but she kept me company and we vowed to stay in contact, and since, have).

Kirsten



Kirsten, of who I went to college with in Boston, and of whom is in many photos on this blog, has attended many of the same occasions with me, who is mentioned routinely on this blog. Debbie, who is a friend of Kirsten’s, who came to stay with us in Boston for Halloween. All these wonderful girls, who have planned out days and fun stuff for us to do, who have accommodated for me in Amsterdam, and who I can’t wait to see again. After the last couple of weeks of visiting family through Bavaria, I can’t wait to hit the town of Amsterdam and reconnect with the people that I’ve met along the way.



I rolled in after my 8hr train around 3pm, and after some accommodation dilemmas, ended up checking into a hostel. After a shower, a nap, a daring red dress and a bit of lippy,I skipped out to meet Kirsten and Debbie at a local bar, where we would begin our adventures in Amsterdam firstly with dinner.
I saw both of them sitting there, at a table waiting for me, and my heart leapt. It’s a really fantastic feeling to have people to make plans with, I didn’t realise how much I had missed them, (especially Kirsten) until we embraced. It’s been 7 weeks since we left college, and we never said a proper ‘goodbye’ – because for us it wasn’t. We had lots to catch up on, and our conversation and giggles flowed as the night began.


Bar hopping to the coolest parts of the city, a visit to the Red Light District, bars, museums, and dancing, my first introduction to Amsterdam was a hit, and set the standard high. The city is vibrant – full of colour, excitement, and never-ending energy. I’m so grateful to the spectacular Debbie for all she did for me, and of course my homegirl Kirsten. My first 12 hours in Amsterdam have set the bar decently high for the next few days, but I’m expecting more great things because don’t forget;

I have friends in Amsterdam. 






No comments:

Post a Comment