Wednesday 13 November 2013

Hallo Halloween

I did a good thing. I decided to clean the apartment as a surprise for Katherine. I told her that it would be "squeaky clean" when she returned. But alas, after a mere 10 minutes of cleaning, I realised that a college dorm nothing could ever be and will ever be even remotely clean or a symbolic of even the most basic standards of hygiene.  In fact, the more I cleaned, the more I realised how dirty the place was. We have our very own specimens of mould growing all over the place folks. I've started naming the clusters of fungi. I know what you're thinking, and no I will not clean it because there's far too much to clean and no one will even notice anyway and I'm moving out in a month and I don't think Katherine has seen it yet and I don't want to lose my fungi friends. 

The week of Halloween passed in seemingly endless bliss of shopping, partying, glitter, dressing up, socializing and long nights with fantastic people people covered in body paint, glitter, colour and costume. Of ALL sorts. It was so American and truly a cultural experience - people get so excited for Halloween,there are activities at uni, houses are decorated and shops are decorated with SPOOKY decorations. We groggily attended classes during the day, had snuggle parties and watched scary movies in the common room with blankets and pillows in the evenings before spending hours getting all dressed up to reveal our costumes to each other at the numerous events we hopped around to over the festive week. We had seemingly different costumes every night, and it was the single most exhausting and fun week in the US...(Australia has got to get on board with the Halloween celebrations). I dressed as Miley Cyrus after her infamous performance at the VMA...and a lot of people might not understand the costume that but it's a pop culture thing ok, and it's hilarious ok. 

Seriously, H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.




































The events included clubbing, house parties on Mission Hill, house parties at off campus residences, et al.....unfortunately the fuzz were all over it and turned up at every joint to shut it down halfway through, but luckily there was so much going on, especially in the Mission Hill region that we were able to wander like a band of misfits into random house parties to get off the street and away from the coppers. There was also an awkward incident with a friend who thought a REAL cop was a just a kid dressed up as one. As I'm sure you can imagine, it didn't end terribly well for him.









































Anywho, apart from that Halloween passed as quickly as it had come, and then it was the end of October. Just like that.

Now excuse me whilst I go and polish the light globes or something to give the place a little extra shine to help me forget about my fungi friends under the sink, bathtub, and Lord help-me, probably under my bed. Considering it's been Halloween, that's the scariest thing I've witnessed yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment