Thursday 14 November 2013

Life's too shirt not to wear Statue of Liberty headbands

My fantasies about New York began when I was very young, and the strong, gravitational pull I've always felt towards the city has been something inside me for as long as i can remember. The curious and inquisitive person I am, I sought answers for this longing deep inside my soul. The only possible reasoning I could come up with was this; repeated exposure to depictions of a city so wonderful that my 5-year-old self  dreamed she would be transported from her living room carpet, where she laid sprawled out in front of the telly mesmerized, to the land of the big city.

Land of the big city

I mean, who wouldn't want to venture to a place where the buildings grooved, you could dance on a rooftop with Elmo and fly over Central Park on a bird? 

I skipped out of class Friday afternoon at 3.30, and I honestly can't remember when I had been so excited before in my life - the same sort of bubbling energy inside your stomach you get when you see the Eiffel Tower for the first time. 


I insisted on wearing this to the train station, and on the bus, and then promised I would wear it around the city of NY.

My friends very nearly disowned me.

I had some terribly violent threats made towards me AND my headband, which, quite frankly, I thought were unfair. They thought I was a terrible embarrassment and fair call, I DID draw a lot of attention to us, especially in Boston, but no one seemed to complain when the station was so busy we all lost each other but LOW AND BEHOLD thanks to the mighty Liberty everyone could see me from a mile off and simply had to look for the green crown amongst the crowd. Yeah, I didn't hear anyone complaining about it then.

Me, Bridge, Annie, Liz and Chris departed Boston by bus that evening, and the journey was filled with numerous txt messages to each other sitting a mere 5 seats away, excited chatter and a stop off at Pop Eyes in which Annie and I returned to the bus shelter, to indeed, find that the bus had left.

In the middle of a highway in the state of NY, the bus was nowhere to be seen and I do NOT kid when I say one of us weed in our pants a little out of fright (anonymity crucial). Luckily the bus driver  stopped around from the back of the restaurant, annoyed that we were holding everyone up, and he seemed to have a care factor of zero when we tried to explain how he had caused one of us to  indecently spoil ourselves.

Regardless, we were on our way to the big city, and contrary to popular belief I stand by the fact that life is simply too short not to wear Statue of Liberty headbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment