Monday 26 August 2013

B is for Boston Baby!

It's move in day! So excited! The exclamation marks are probably going become nauseating, and for that I apologise. Speaking of which, thanks to the people that care enough to actually sift through all the ranting and ridiculous numbers of palm-tree photos that I put up. Over 350 page reads, and for that I like to pretend it's not just my mum, continually refreshing the screen. Thank you! Makes me feel special! The kids at college assumed I was doing journalism or something...because I "look like a writer" and I said "be careful or I'll write about you", and they laughed, and I just sat there said "I'll take that as consent to blog about you" and they laughed even harder and I was just like, "no, seriously". And well, here we are. I have consent, apparently. But I hope there's no privacy or confidentiality issues with blogging about people, because Northeastern fosters a pretty decent Law School (we're in the county of Harvard and Cambridge folks!) and I'm sure there are people that could quite easily throw some legal stuff in my face and the best defence I could come up with would be hoping that 'she'll be right mate'.

Bridget and I packed up and caught a cab down to Res around 11am. The atmosphere was electric; (yes, I used that word, and I'll use it again - electric) people running around all over the place with suitcases, numnuts such as me and Bridget asking a million questions and holding the map out in front of us trying to navigate around the monstrosity of a campus that is Northeastern, and confused parents ushering their children around - teary eyed that their baby is finally moving out into a big city. Here are those obligatory 'here's my room' photos.





I'm waiting on my roommate...she still hasn't arrived. So naturally, I moved the furniture around and chose the better bed and desk. Then Bridget and I headed to Target to buy all the new stuff for our dorms...of which, was like, everything. We had to buy comforters, sheets, lamps, washing stuff, laundry detergent, school stuff blah blah. Target is HUGE here, so big that there is a Pizza Hut in the middle of the store. Think of the biggest Target at home, and then multiply it by 10. There's a pharmacy in Target, where you pick up prescriptions in little brown Target-marked bags. Seems surreal. The mall was full of college kids - all buying stuff for their rooms, it was amazing how picky Bridget and I became in choosing bed sheets and comforter covers, considering they're only being used for a few months. Women, Sigh. One thing I'm fond of, the huge mall car parks in 'Merica don't just have lines to mark out the car spaces, but allocated marked tracks that guide where your tyres are supposed to go, leaving enough door-space between each car spot. I'm fond of this because you may remember the menacing car note that I received on my windscreen in Melbourne, two full pages of abuse about how I can't park. If Australia introduced this woman-P-plater-easy-friendly-car-parking-system, there may be less written abuse experienced by the young female drivers of the world. Just sayin'. 'Merica - 1, 'Straya - 0.  

After an exhausting (but really so much fun!) shopping experience, we headed back and unpacked, blah blah. I sort of had this strange, freaky, smile going on. As I was unpacking, it felt as if I was really starting something, something that I knew was about to be amazing and fantastic and one of the best experiences of my life. I've hung an Australian flag over my bed, patriotic, what up. Met a few different college kids already, and like backpackers, everyone seems to be super friendly and a lot of fun. Bridget and I had a good day wandering around and sorting things out, the campus here is pret-tayy awesome. And you guiz are right; dey lovin dem Aussies.







Just now me, Bridget, her roommate Vivian and Vivian's friend Alvin headed out for Pizza, and despite Alvin's guidance, we still couldn't manage to hold the ginormous 'Merican pizza slices in one hand (I reckon they're at least two Australian ones fused together), but I'm sure we have enough time to master that one in the future. College so far is awesome - the people are friendly and everyone kinda wanders the halls and you stop and chat and congregate in people's rooms. I know I'm never going to be lonely here and I don't really know what else to say because I'm feeling so blooming happy and content with the world. School hasn't started yet though - I ceebs with school. Ask me in a  few weeks how I'm feeling. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment