Sunday 25 August 2013

Dogers V Insignificant Item of Clothing

So here's the sitch - if you remember my Pommie buddy Will? He asked me if I wanted to come to the LA Dogers and Boston Red Sox baseball game with him on Friday (because he knew I was heading to Boston and they're soon to be my team). I said sure thing, and we made plans to meet at the hostel and catch public transport downtown to the stadium together. Somewhere along the line, Serena and I got held up at the beach (probably following a group of surfers down the coast or something)and then the commute back to downtown and then back to Hollywood wasn't going to get us there on time. So we tried to reach Will but couldn't...so in the end we planned to meet him there but then he went AWOL and we never found him at the game. So Serena and I went ourselves.  Sorry Will. We had been at the beach all day, and were in desperate need of a shower but we had no time cause the game was at 7pm, so Serena had this brilliant idea of going to Macy's to get our makeup done, using all the samples and freshening up. There was a free shuttle bus, which unfortunately took ages, but despite my sunburnt head and sore feet, we met some great locals on the bus. Sol, James and Thomas were lovely chaps, who were local Californians and we chatted about the game and they gave us a crash course on baseball and how to follow along. I'll say this - 'Mericans take their baseball seriously. They were shocked to find out that Australians don't follow baseball, and I tried explaining AFL, but they found it quite absurd. People were decked out in all their Dogers stuff, and this game had been hyped up for months apparently.
Whatever it was, ya got to hand it to the Yanks, they really don't do anything half-arse. I had this vision of everything in 'Merica being BIGGER, BETTER and SHINER...and in terms of baseball, that's about right. James was telling us that an entire NEIGHBOURHOOD was smashed down, shops, schools, houses, ect, for the Dogers Stadium to be built. A whole outer suburb was torn down, for the 50,000 seater-stadium, and surrounding MONSTROUS car parks and bus bays, Dogers fan shops and ticketing booths. It's crazy. It was legit the biggest establishment I have ever seen. It would take you an entire day to walk around the outskirts of the stadium. Amazing. The view of LA from the top was great though - at night, all lit up.


Seriously, Serena and I were so excited to be here





I'm going to go right ahead and say that Serena and I were 'high on life' that night, the atmosphere, the people, the experience...but it's more likely that we were ACTUALLY high. Marijuana is legal in the state of California, and people were lighting up everywhere, it was a constant haze that surrounded the stadium and everyone in it. And no mum, I didn't directly smoke a joint. For the record though, if I did want to, it wouldn't have been hard. There was a fair bit of booze going around, and people were decked out in LA pride. The have the big screens and 'Robot Cams', where, if the camera lands on you, you're on the big screen and you HAVE TO DO THE ROBOT. Like, you'll get boo-ed and they'll keep the camera on you, embarrassing you further, until you do the Robot. We tried to find our seats in the crowd of 50,000 people recorded there for the Sox game, and it's apparent that the Yanks don't know how to count. Eg; the sign will say; 'GATE 12, 15, 21, 27' and then the next gate will say 'GATE 26, 32, 39, 41'. Don't try to make it easy for us. It seems that everyone eats these things called 'Doger Dogs' which are an interesting interpretation of hotdogs with onion and mustard and cheese, and more cheese and peppers and mayo all thrown on top. Wasn't too keen on them, not gonna lie. And if you weren't eating that, you were devouring 'Merica's interpretation of 'Dogers Nachos', a minute quantity of corn chips buried under peppers and onions and pickles and salsa and mayo and stringy cheese that was an unnatural, nasty shade of orange (yes, ORANGE) all shoved into an upside down Dogers baseball helmet. It's mental. Oh, side note; I saw spam sushi the other day too.
'Merica.

That's the view of the city I was talking about





Serena bought Dogers stuff to support that team...wouldn't have minded supporting them myself tbh...

They also have this thing called 'Firework Fridays'...and that in itself is amazing. The Yanks seem not to have much regard for safety in terms of explosives. They were HUMONGOUS and lasted for ages. You could get so close to where they were being lit that I thought my face was going to blow off. Mental. Here's a wanky-tourist-video.


All in all, it was a fantastic experience. The game was short; only 2 hrs and 5 minutes. People were saying how it's the shortest game in 'history'. So translation - the Red Sox suck, man. I may take to calling them the 'Sucky Sox' from now on. That's my team, they were supported by the minority of Boston-fans(being in LA), and they suck. No one made a home run, everyone got caught out and very few made it past 2nd base. C'mon Sox. Seems I've chosen the Gold Coast Suns of the AFL world to support. But I mean, I should have known, considering that their mascot is an item of smelly clothing that you wear on your feet. That's the best they could come up with - socks. To me that seems as if it's the worst possible item you could chose. Well, besides, underpants. But even underpants would have the element of humour so you could probably get away with it. But no no, we'll go with socks. And lets make them red while we're at it. And just to be extra cool, we'll spell 'socks' with an 'x'. There you go, that's the recipe of a winning team.

Sucky Sock player strikes out




No comments:

Post a Comment