Monday 26 August 2013

Put on my Blue Suede Shoes

...and I boarded the plane. I was walking in Memphis -  I flew on a terribly uncomfortable Delta flight, in which sleep was welcomed by my tired and tipsy body, but 'twas not received. Marc Cohn was playing in my ears for a very long time, I swear the man helped me overcome the urge to throw up at every sign of turbulence because of the humidity, lack of food and water, and the alcohol running through my system. When I arrived at Tennessee, I was hardly feeling better but enjoyed all the fantastic Southern-themed restaurants at the airport, and I love the Southern accent that accompanied them. So different to LA. One thing I will say though, is that I miss Australian airport authorities who actually have an ounce of humanity and don't loathe the people who occupy their nation. Immigration officers,
*annoyed Mr Bean sigh*
- you'd think that every person they dealt with was responsible for killing their entire family, including their dog. Honestly. Toto helped calm me down for this one (side note, I think I'm relying on the music thing cause I'm a lonely old sod atm)...

Gets me every time..

So imma put up a wanky quote by Jeanette Leblanc; since I've departed for my new adventure in Boston. It's kinda cute, you can publically hate on it, but I know it's a guilty pleasure for many who are unwilling to admit it.

 
Indeed. The ones that stand out for me include those centred around 'choosing potential over safety' and 'making mistakes' and 'being wrong'. I can reflect on them, especially in regards to the recent party-before-8-hour-flight incident.
 
Moving swiftly on, the flight from Memphis was another 4 hours, and we skipped 2 hours in time difference. By the time I got to Boston I hadn't slept for 23 hours, and hadn't eaten for around 18.
 
First impressions of the city - uhhh, it's amazing! A mix of old and new, and a college-capital, there's at least 5 or 6 top quality schools, so a lot of college kids are out and about. A LOT. It was hot, about 30 degrees, but there was no one to complain to whilst I tried to navigate my way to the hostel to meet Bridget (Bridget is my kick-ass friend from Swinburne who is also on exchange heading to Northeastern this semester. We weren't friends at uni, but more so when I was listening to her conversation with friends (as you do)at Glenferrie station after uni one day, and then pounced on her when I found out we were going to Northeastern. She probably thought I was mental, but we've been mates ever since, and she's actually and awesome person. I like her a lot. Maybe even a little girl crush). Boston is very urban and 'hip' (I say 'hip' like I'm old or something, wut) but there are caged basketball courts  in the middle of the city, and it's really just wonderful. I'm looking forward to calling this place home. 
 
...feeling sentimental tonight
I literally dragged myself through the hostel door and well, check  in wasn't till 4pm, and it was around 1pm by this stage. So I set myself up to blog, and a kid by the name of Jacob from Austin, Texas came to have a chat, as he recognised me - we were actually on the same flight from Memphis and I notified him of a luggage tag he had dropped, and then I saw him on the plane again, and then we ended up on the same bus and nek minnit we're at the same hostel and chatting away for three hours, amidst blogging for me and course-work reading for him. IMPORTANT; this is a quote that is written on the hostel walls, and it has never been more relevant;
 
Mark Twain says that "Travel is fatal to prejudice"
 
The bloke couldn't have been more spot on - in regards to Texans, Jacob defied all expectations and was one of the most insightful, interesting and genuinely intelligent people I have ever met. The kid was accepted into college at 15 for cryin' out loud. I found myself actively searching for words in my vocabulary that would make me sound more cultured and well-rounded to match his standard of conversation. And I hope he now doesn't read this. But anyway, he's great, and has many interesting views on things, and we kept each other company till I checked in. The down low on Jacob is that he's moved to Boston indefinitely for the next 3 or 5 years or so, to work as a teaching aide...but he's kinda like an intern...but he gets paid work...uhh...yeah. After check in, I met Bridget (yay) and showered, and we caught up. She's amazing, and I can't wait to begin my Bostonian adventures with her. We see eye to eye on things, me and Bridget. It's cool. Anywho, Jacob and I then went out for dinner in Chinatown, and we ate Squab...which we discovered is pigeon, which was cool. We had fortune cookies afterwards, which I usually find super-exciting, but my message was so insignificant I've already forgotten it. First night in Boston, 'twas brilliant and I can't wait to  head to college tomorrow.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment