Tuesday 20 August 2013

There's Good in Goodbye


 
It never sort of feels like it's happening up until you suddenly blink and then you're in another world. Saying goodbye was harder than I thought it would be, and it's when you're forced into saying farewell that you really start to appreciate the people you love. My head swarming with thoughts of Christopher Lane didn't help and I was so overwhelmed after the rocking weekend that I became a bit of an emotional wreck tbh. I think the thing that was the most  difficult was knowing that things change; people change, situations change and I'm leaving Melbourne knowing I'm going to change, but then I still expect things to be the same when I return. News flash - the world doesn't stop when you're away. So I hope that the things that are important stay the same. But anyhow, change is good. Allegedly.
*winces*
So now more feeling sad and sorry for myself, only looking forward with positivity now, because my adventure has begun.

Gierer Krew say Adios at the airport
 
 
I started packing my backpack 12 hours before we had to leave for the airport. Everyone ELSE seemed to get terribly stressed about it, but I maintain my theory that packing at the last minute is the way to go, cause you don't forget things. I flew with Qantas, on the A380 and the most eventful thing I can think of is when I was standing in line for customs I forgot that I had my one litre bottle drink bottle in my backpack, still full. So, like a champ, I drank one litre of water in the space of about 10 minutes, and then proceeded to run, yes RUN through duty free and down to the boarding gate, and I jumped on the plane at 9.13am,for a 9.15am flight. I nearly passed out because I'm so unfit, and I'm surprised I didn't do a little wee in my pants at the stress of the whole incident.

Oh also, maybe I'm clueless but these kids were on my flight; and they seemed pretty average until there were crowds of screaming American teenagers waiting for them at the airport...they sat next to me the whole flight and were actually pretty irritating tbh. They were all wearing snapback caps. Who knew they were a bunch of rich famous kids. who sing and dance about on Youtube.

The Janoskians

There were LONG delays getting through LAX. And I was terrified of all forms of authority the entire time. No shame. I saw a Customs officer rip a bloke to shreds for being on his phone in the queue. I was afraid to even sit down in the line that I had been waiting in for an hour in case I was yelled at. I managed to nut out the bus and train systems through LA, they seemed surprisingly simple compared to all the transport systems I've used abroad, but I suppose English helps. The highlight was driving on the stereotypical LA highways that are all twisty and turning and give you a great view of the city. Also, it's true. There are palm trees everywhere in LA.
 
LA and Hollywood are not as G.L.A.M.O.R.O.U.S as one thinks, there's a lot of poverty and it's really quite dirty,  people everywhere, the air isn't clean and the sun is making my backpack stick to me. It's fairly warm, about 23 degrees. I'm at a hostel on the Hollywood Boulevard and in the last 10 minutes through the window I've observed five cops pull to the floor, handcuff and arrest a young teenage girl for causing a disturbance and a group of Christian lobbyers march up and down the Boulevard holding signs and chanting.
 
I keep having to blink to remind myself that I'm actually IN 'MERICA, the moment I've been waiting for 9 months. Throughout my short 19 years on this earth I have noticed that;
1. Experience is everything
2. Opportunity is everywhere
3. You have the power to create and carry out your dreams
 
Sounds kinda wanky - yes. Do I have any shame in reiterating it - no. Is it true - abso-freaking-lutely.
 
No if you'll excuse me, Hollywood calls.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment