Thursday 22 August 2013

LA-nd of the rich and the famous

Before I left I stressed my worries to some people about being a lonely old creep who would annoy other travellers...but it is with thankfulness that I say 'tis quite the opposite. It seems that everywhere I look there's a new person to befriend. Must be BECAUSE I'M SAH POPULAR. But honestly, I was worried about being alone, but after only a couple of days I've already managed to double book myself with plans with other travelling homies. I've realised though, that the best places to meet people are at bus stops. It seems as if there is ALWAYS someone to talk to, I'm just sitting there minding my business and then someone pipes up "Where ya from gurl?" and then I find myself engaged in conversation for the next hour or so about all sorts; politics, the racial controversy in Oklahoma or the state of the Californian bus system. And then he's throwing his head back and slapping his hands together saying, "Dayum gurl you golden" and then nek minnit I've got a piece of paper with the address of his Aunt in Boston shoved into my hand. Le sigh. Seriously. Not to toot my own horn but I'm finding it difficult to get a moment of peace.

Woke early, mainly because the weather is so freaking hot. Hooked up with a Pommie, Will, who - get this; though I was legit 100% British and that I came from the south of London. I told him he was bloody ridiculous and he told me that I should have gotten enough experience with criminology and criminals in Australia, and why would I venture all the way out to America to study it. I politely reminded him that all the convicts were originally British you twat and he told me that we're terrible at cricket and I stromed off and we were pretty good mates after that. We jumped on a tour bus that took us out and around Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I usually don't go for those wanky tour-things, but this was pretty good. I think their main selling point was 'you MIGHT see someone famous'. Yeah, ok buddy.



Right outside our hostel


Hollywood Walk of Fame - 2200 stars


A personal favourite


The atrocious sports bar from last night...sigh

We learnt in Europe, it's eat or be eaten in hostel-food world

Dats right

This is a legit high school. Hollywood High. The musical Grease was also filmed here in Hollywood. So yes, one might call that Rydall High.

Famous people stay here. There's a room dedicated to Miss Monroe. JT was here only a couple of weeks ago.

Looking down Hollywood Boulevard


Pulp Fiction anyone? This is where the diner scene with Uma and John was filmed


LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE. This is where she infamously shaved her head a couple  of years ago, The Drybar in LA.

Johnny Depp's handy hole in the wall joint.

Anybody who is a somebody has played here in LA...Motley Crue, Metellica, Duran Duran...

Beverly Hills - so fake it almost looks real




Tom Cruise's crib

Sunset Boulevard...what dreams are made of

LA residence of David and Victoria (Beckham...if you didn't know *rolls eyes*)

When he aint helping people with problems on screen, Dr Phil is hanging 10 here




Be cool guys - Brangelia live here ok


The King of Pop (sigh, MJ if you didn't know) took his last breath in that master bedroom behind the balcony *sob*

Guess what? Snoop Dog's home from work

Bel Air...another exotic suburb of LA


The Pretty Woman lives in a pretty house. Julia Roberts, you are amazing

One really oughta talk to Adam about trimming his hedges so we can see into the Sandler Residence. Honestly. Rude. 

Le sigh. I want to live on Mapleton Dr with a garden so perfect it looks like plastic
 

Legendary Whitney Houston passed away on the 4th floor of the Beverly Hilton  Hotel


Rodeo Drive...exclusive shopping strip in LA



Apparently famous people shop and dine here all the time...you can see some filming going on, and we got close enough to hear someone shout "It's Him!"...but didn't succeed in finding out who that "Him" was...le sigh

California, ladies' and gents





After lunch I was keen to hit up some famous LA beaches and work on a glorious LA tan. Met up with Canadians Max and Bernard, and we nutted out the bus system, wait no - that's a LIE, they leeched onto me because I had visited the tourist centre and had maps and actually knew what I was doing. Regardless, they were loud, friendly and a lot of fun and we made it down to Santa Monica together. Santa Monica - *cue applause*. It is hands down absolutely gorgeous, the  beach is spectacular, just like all the movies. People rollerblade and cycle along the beach paths, and sip summer cocktails from exclusive bars on the waterfront. People in California really take a likening to the accent, and I found myself meeting and making more friends along the way.  

Doc was as standout, and older African American man with whom I spent a couple of hours with on a park bench over looking the city. Amongst groups of born-again Christians and meeting a couple of other Aussie people, I'm in love with the place. The sun is always shining and the people are always happy...I find myself continually trusting them, even when they say 'don't trust anyone in LA...except for maybe me'.

One of my favourite photos of downtown LA



Where the magic happens

That is the Hollywood sign in the background...take my word for it


I'll formally apologise now for my pathological picture-taking, but the following are all from Santa Monica on the West Coast.

Bernard in Santa Monica


Around the end there by the cape, is Malibu




Photo by myself, don't even care




Sucks to be in a Melbourne winter hey









Santa Monica beach



Dat Santa Monica

Dolby Theatre complex by night


Yes, I was 'that person' who photographed their food
 
Watch me do it punk

 

 Admittedly there's a bit of a rockin hostel party going on atm in the common room, so I'd best stop being a wanker on my laptop and plod on over.

No comments:

Post a Comment