Wednesday 21 August 2013

La la la di da in LA

Before I left Australia I said that I was going to exponentially plot my assumed and impermissible weight gain during my time in the US. It has come to my attention that my watch band is too tight, in the sense that after one day my wrists have already swelled, forcing me to loosen the strap.

Hollywood Blvd at night
 
 
 
The place is swarming with Pommies. Note to self; the Brits don't appreciate being called Pommies. I had a jetlagged nap after I arrived in my hot and stuffy dorm, which lasted till about 7.30pm, by which time it was still light and Hollywood was bustling. People say NYC never sleeps? LA certainly does not. It was a Tuesday night but it could have been a Saturday, everyone is out, all the time. It's glorious. I ventured out  onto the street to find some dinner, and got roped into a free comedy show at Hooters...the Yanks sure know how to sweet talk a young gal. Met a couple of buddies there, and nek minnit I'm having a Texan burger and a soda (alcohol attempt unsuccessful) and having a pretty decent time. Also, nek minnit I've been befriended by a bunch of them and am heading back to Hooters on Saturday night. Stand up comedians; the stereotypical white Caucasian from Dallas, to an African American man from Brooklyn. And I'll say this, there seemed to be no racial filter with the whole stand up comedy thing.

If it isn't politically incorrect, you're doing it wrong.

All in all, it was a great night, they were terribly funny and took great pleasure in humiliating and taking digs at Australians, as soon as the found out there was an Aussie in the crowd...but who am I kidding, I loved the attention. 

 
Orange Drive on the Boulevard
This is Chris.
I hooked up with a local LA couple at Hooters, they taught me how to tip...and  when I say 'local' I mean actual, true blue LA kids. They showed me the ropes and told me that everyone in LA says they're from LA...but they're not. Nicole and Johnny were awesome though, we ended up hanging out at their LA apartment and the took me out and about on the town after. I was told the places to go, the places not to go and they went straight to the top of my INSTANTLY AWESOME list when we succeeded in getting me some authentic 'Merican Vodka, and sneaky drinks at Buffalo Wings later that night. That's right, Hooters and Buffalo Wings in one night. Could I get any more classy. Those kind of places are really kitsch, the girls at Hoooters have "delightfully tacky" on the back of their uniforms. And Buffalo Wings. BUFFALO WINGS, the sports bar with so many TVs it felt like a vicious attack on my sensory system.

They told me about their lives; being held at gunpoint just last week two blocks from home, and growing in elementary school whilst their friends were actors on TV. I told them about mine; making blanket forts with my roommate in our living room and sneaking out of school early. Met a couple of their misfit-LA buddies, and it seems that everyone  in LA is here to find fame...the city attracts struggling musicians, actors and the sort, who work diner jobs in order to support their careers. They taught me the importance of tipping, how to get around in LA, not to talk to White Trash, and to trust absolutely no one. They walked me home and are taking me up to Santa Monica on Friday night.

So, my very first night in LA has restored faith in travellers and the Americans as fantastic people.  Nicole and Johnny took me under their wing as locals, and I hooked up with some Brits and Scottish kids later that night at the hostel, for more beers. It goes to show that your experience is what you make of it, it's all about having an open mind and jumping on board with opportunities.  


Me, Nix and Johnny
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment