Tuesday 3 September 2013

By Gorg it's Gorgeous

We woke up to a gorgeous Franconian morning, and our lovely hosts Jim and Jan serve you with fresh coffee, freshly baked pastries and they'll whip you up pancakes, omelettes, fresh fruit and pretty much anything you ask for. It's always a splendid way to begin the day, and we tend to turn heads plodding into the dining room, eyes half closed wearing (presumably) 'indecent' sleepwear, judging by the looks of older couples who raised their eyebrows. But they are the sort that shopped at Kathmandu for the clothes and Rivers for the stylish footwear. So whatever. Speaking of food actually, they always give us afternoon tea, in which we race to the sitting room and wait patiently like children for Jan to bring us tasty fresh-baked farm treats, and
Annie will pour numerous cups of English Breakfast tea and we can sit there for hours. Also, actually, speaking of food, we've been doing a fair bit of fruit and salad eating, because, well, you're smart people. I needn't explain. But amongst the abundance of food available, and the ginormous portions, I have gained weight. The exact circumstances in which the 'ball dropped' if you will, was when we were talking to NH locals and I was no longer picked out as the 'tall and thin one'. They used it to describe someone else in our group and I was like, 'no no, that's supposed to be me'. Not any more, apparently. Anywho, I best start telling you about what else we've gotten up to in New Hampshire because a) I have noticed the increase in page views (you make my soul sing, thank you) and b) I would assume you'd much rather hear about that than my ignominious increase in adipose cells on my body.


Curious.

Number 1; we have named our car Toby. Number 2; Here's why. Toby Keith's "I want to talk about me" song was the very first we heard in Toby, and we instantly picked up the tune and were soon singing along. Also, this guy is HILARIOIUS. Not funny, not mildly amusing, but UTTERLY THE BEST COUNTRY SINGER IN THE MID WEST. We have taken to looking at all his songs, watching the youtube videos and we have all these personal little jokes about Toby and in the space of about 12 hours became his number one fans. His songs are terrible, let me say, his videos are sexist, ignorant, derogatory, undeniably racist and he's just so full of himself (everything I hate), but at the end of the day he's a musical genius. We're hoping to get cowboy hats and plaid shirts and go to his concert guys. We hate him...but we also kinda heart him at the same time. IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU - YOU WILL CLICK ON THESE LINKS. I  GUARANTEE YOU A GOOD TIME. THIS GUY IS A JOKE.

Toby Keith - I want to talk about me
Toby Keith - I love this bar
Toby Keith - Beer for my horses
Toby Keith - How do you like me now?!
Toby Keith - Trailerhood

Seriously, get on it. The videos are the most fun. Anywho, apart from singing Toby Keith really loud in Toby, the driving is going well...it's really much more difficult to drive on the other side of the road than you think, but we're adopting this phrase that 'right is right', and it's working out al-IGHT (killing the puns today). We almost hit a racoon, Bridge had to swerve pretty drastically, it was dark too, but no moose yet.

We headed to the famous Flume Gorg, which is basically a national forest, where we hiked and admired the fantastic New Hampshire country side. There was a quote by Buddha that I saw inscribed somewhere there and I find it somewhat relevant to the morning's activities;

Bridge and Annie annoyed at the exercise the trek included




She so cute





"When you realise how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky" ~Buddha

We heart moose

The Flume


You wouldn't believe how many Americans stopped and stared at us in the most awkward fashion as we took this





Also, considering I was chatting to my sister explaining that I was no longer in Boston but chipping around New England with a troupe of gal pals in our Volkwagen named Toby, she sort of exclaimed "...Caty, aren't you meant to be at school?"
No darling, I'm abroad. And I do what I want. It's a good life.

#dowhatiwant

The photo's say it all really, but the Flume Gorg was amazeballs. The hiking wasn't so bad after all either. I mean, we survived and were plodding on through the misty humid rain at one point, and it was fantastic.





This was before we actually started..

That night we jumped in Toby and headed to a local treasure - The Common Man for dinner. It's sort of like a kitsch, 'Merican place, but it's really old school and for all the local country folk. This is a joint that has 'God Bless America' posters around, moose heads on the walls and recorded tapings in the bathroom about a young country woman and her husband Walter. She says things like;

"Walter and I had a cactus once, but we killed it. Goes to show that we are less caring than a desert! That reminds me, ask us about our desserts, and don't forget to book your next function at The Common Man!"

Imagine that in a NH drawl, or get me to rein act it for you in Australia upon my return. Seriously, don't forget. Now don't ask me why she would liken their desserts to a desert, because that doesn't sound at all mouth-watering to me (heh punny. Here's another favourite;

"Walter put a clock under his chair at work so he can always work ahead of time! Don't forget to try our mac 'n cheese pizza!"

Now god bless the Americans for thinking about a constant voice recording to keep you company whilst you are trying to relieve yourself, or simply so as you have something to listen to whilst you are doing do. And it's a clever marketing strategy, in case you are ever thinking of mac 'n cheese pizza whilst going to the bathroom. I'll tell you honestly that I never have been, but I find it to be thoughtful that they consider it. Perhaps next time I'm using the restroom on a country highway, I might find myself doing just that.


Classic New Hampshire


We turned quite a few heads when people realised we were foreign, this was a small family place and I honestly don't think there were any other out-of-towners for miles. We met the locals who were absolutely lovely, they invited us to sit with them and have a drink, share their buffalo wings, ect while we waited. The Common Man makes it's own cheese (the first REAL cheese I believe I've had since I arrived in the States, and it was so very tasty), chocolate, milk, butter and cream. The meals (although huge) were all farm-produce and hands down the best we've had in the States yet. They invite you to help yourself to cheese and crackers whilst you wait in  the bar area for your table, because they are terribly busy. The local boys working in the bar would rush to serve us, and it was a really memorable night. Again, I dig the country accent, and people are always so friendly to hear your story and help you out in any way possible.




After dinner we drank wine and sat out by the pool, talking about deep and meaningful aspects of our lives, soaking in the setting sun over the New Hampshire mountainous range, and dare I say, tilting our heads back and laughing at the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment