Monday 30 September 2013

And then there were none.

The weekends are always fun in Boston. And I really truly mean that. When we're not travelling, campus life is buzzing on the weekend. On this particular Saturday night just gone, we headed to a mojito party on the first floor. It was great, atmosphere was fun, there were a lot of people there, an old 10-liter ice cream tub filled with mojito...with maybe a little too many mint leaves but hey, who's complaining. The red cups were plentiful. The music was loud.













 Long story short, around 1.30am the RA busted us. We were in a lot of trouble, a concoction of charges were about to be brought upon everyone in the room (given my most recent post, you'll understand that the Americans don't take these things lightly). Underage drinking, violation of residential code of conduct, violation of school code of conduct, supplying alcohol to minors, noise complaints and just generally having fun is not allowed in America. SO. There's about 25 plus people in the living room, sitting tight, drinks in hand, keeping quiet. Me included. There's other people in the bathroom, hiding behind the shower curtain. The RA is grumpy (fun-sucker) and he starts coming in demanding to see everyone's ID's, and taking people's names. The kid whose place it was was also 19. Le sigh. So, everyone had had a bit to drink, but me, being the clever cookie I am, decided that it was EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF so I sat looking at the room full of hopeless friends, about to all be in serious trouble and made a move. 

This was me - just imagine me with a beer in my hand under the bed though.


I literally hid under the couch. Smooth as hell. You can picture me doing it, I know you can. Pierre ended up opening the window, cause the RA was COMING IN RIGHT, and without a second look Annie pulls a superwoman move and grabs her jacket and literally leaps out the window from the first floor. NEK MINNIT - the entire room full of people follow her lead and there's 25 kids jumping from windows, landing on the sidewalk, to escape persecution. Literally didn't even give it a second thought, before flying out, frontwards, backwards, no-wards. People ended up falling and hitting their heads, landing on the concrete, ect...but you don't understand, they way they handle illicit things like this is not a joke. Hence people would rather risk their lives jumping form the first floor rather than be written up. The RA got the names of an unlucky few, but they were all of age, and managed to stall him if you like, keeping him away from the living room full of people. Heaven knows what he thought when he entered an abandoned party scene, people's possessions and drinks lying all over the place. There was not a single person in sight, they were probably running for their life down an alley now. And me? I hid. And waited. He never found me. Or caught up with anyone else. Look who's laughing now. College kids know how to play smart.











So that little escapade happened - it was very exciting. We all regrouped later on, but split up into different rooms as to not cause any more suspicion. We still laugh about it. It was so absolutely hilarious, and will be one of the best college experiences I will keep with me forever...it's a memory that binds me to those wonderful people, something we all experienced together.












But alas, the night was not over. Upstairs, a few regrouped and Tim and Jeppe brought over a gun (air rifle) they had bought in Connecticut. You know, they thought that would be fun. Bringing a loaded air rifle to a party scene where alcohol was plentiful and people had been drinking for hours. What blooming idiots. Obviously, they took great delight in randomly disrupting the atmosphere by pulling the gun out and shouting EVERYONE GET ON THE FLOOR RIGHT NOW, ON THE FLOOR AND HANDS ON YOUR HEAD, whilst pointing it at people. Sigh. And we did. They had a gun man, and it was loaded. I know you're probably thinking that I'm placing myself in grave danger or that I'm subjecting myself to very unsafe conditions here in the US, but it wasn't that bad. Really. It wasn't. I've been hit by an air rifle before. I mean, sometimes they break skin, but it doesn't hurt too much. After several 'gun scares' and them threatening to shoot us, I had had enough (you know, for the sake of the girls that were diving to get under furniture every time someone waved that thing around) so I pulled my second ninja move of the night, and grabbed the gun from Jeppe's hands. I know you're probably freaking out and asking why the hell I would grab a loaded rifle out of someones hands and hide it in my sweatpants, but it SIMPLY WASN'T THAT BAD. And that was pretty much the end of it. At one stage they threatened to go and get another gun in order to retrieve the first gun. I told them to sit down. At one stage I let them shoot me (of my own accord) with the rifle, and my wounds are healing now. The gun owners, on the other hand, howled like babies when shot. 

When I made it to bed that right, I realized that I had experienced a little bit about what life is like on the wild side; illicit behavior, hiding as a fugitive, escaping the snipey RA and then dealing with weaponry.  

God Bless 'Merica and the 4th Amendment  - the security of a free state (IT'S OUR LIFE AND WE'LL JUMP IF WE WANT TO), and a right to bear arms (IT'S YOUR GUN YOU'LL SHOOT IF YOU WANT TO). After all the excitement, I'm just glad I've still got arms to tell the tale.


Emotional aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment