Monday 30 September 2013

It's about Legality

Trouble.
Hi guys, long time no chat. Got some juicy things to tell you today. Viv turned 21 on Monday, and here, that's kind of a big deal. She's legal for alcohol consumption. Yay for her - still sucky for the rest of us. There was a rumor (heh, Americanized)going around that the legal age in Washington DC was 18, because when the federal government pressured states to have the legal drinking age as 21 in their penal codes, Maryland already had the Whitehouse and didn't need the money that was being offered in return for complying. But turns out that happened like 20 years ago, so no difference. We had Viv's bday party on Friday at my place, but we had a splendid dinner and Monday-night-drinks too. It was good, sushi places downtown are exquisite. 


Viv and Zac-Attack





Ahahaha, this was so funny. I bought this dress - and, Classic Caty, the store clerk didn't remove the security tag and I left...still wore it out. Have to get that fixed. Note to self,

Annie and Kirsten


Anyway. America. Legality. They approach the law...in an odd way over here. Given I'm studying criminal justice and associated topics, I get insight to their brilliant, fool-proof legal system that balances upon crumbling pillars of justice. Just now, I've come back from my Death Penalty class, where this kid was openly expressing to the class that America should not only reinforce the death penalty, but work on factors to make it a more successful deterrent to reduce the homicide rate in the States. He suggested that we publicly hang the convicted inmates on death row on Good Morning America (as of last week has more ratings than The Today Show, he pointed out) on a daily basis. What. Am. I. Doing. Here.

But it's interesting. If you are following the blog, you may remember that I had a run in the with cops for failing to provide proper ID when entering my building, and it lead to a police search at 1.30am. Not shortly after, I got a letter saying that I had 'broken student code of conduct' and would need to report for a disciplinary hearing (the first of which I actually missed, because I wasn't in the state), and answer to a board of NEU staff, in which they would consult the police reports, get my side of the story, consult witness accounts and then ultimately decide if i was 'responsible', 'not responsible' or 'partly responsible . Basically, if  I had a guilty verdict. It was a joke. 



I was also told that I could bring in a witness to my hearing so that no 'unlawful or discriminatory conduct' could occur...you know, in case I sued them. Ridic. NEU has it's own legal proceeding system for 'cases' at a NEU level. With our NEU cops. Anyway, I went, and literally sat there with my arms crossed, totally disinterested as they yacked on about policy and procedures. What a waste of time. I wish I could have used more colorful language about exactly how I had interpreted the American Security System, but I didn't want to be rude. So I just told them how it was, essentially  that this is a waste of my time, their time, it was a simple error, let's save ourselves and go and do something more interesting with our lives and YOU SIR - YOU KNOW YOUR PANTS ARE WAY TOO TIGHT WHEN THEY EFFECT THE WAY YOU WALK. 
Finally, I was notified by formal letter that the 'charges were dropped' and I wouldn't be kicked out of college. Great. What a relief. Thank God.





Like, take my apartment building for example. Just now, as I was writing this, NEU cops busted in the door with the RA for a 'routine security check' and I was just sitting on my bed like wtf. They can do that. Just come into your place whenever they want. We probably consented to it when we agreed to move in. Classic America. Make you give consent on one of the 50 forms you get thrust into your face to even be allowed to set foot in the country. I swear there's a marijuana raid every couple of weeks. Some Einstein on the 5th floor decided to smoke weed with his DOOR OPEN, so it stunk out the entire floor, and low and behold the NEU cops roll in like a SWAT team unexpectedly and patrol and enter every room to find the marijuana source. Daily, I hear sirens of police cars whipping down Huntington Ave. 

But the thing most fascinating I think, is the American attitude to suing. Everywhere you go, everywhere you look - the attitude is WE'LL SUE YOU! There was a case at Disneyland. Wait for this; you'll love it. A woman and her family had finished a fun-filled day at the park in California, and were getting into the car. Her young son got his hand jammed in the car door, so they ran back up to the park to get some ice and call an ambulance. In the mayhem of hysteria, the kid was taken backstage or something to get medical attention, and saw Disney characters taking off their masks or undressing out of their costumes. 

The woman tried to sue the multi-billion-dollar enterprise for psychological trauma to her son, because he had, during the whole experience, come to realize that Disney characters were not real. She lost the case.

What's worse, is if you Google 'dumb American lawsuits' - the lists are endless. A drunk driver drove her Honda into Gal Veston Bay in Texas. Her friend got out but the driver was too drunk to unfasten her seat belt, and hence drowned. Naturally, her parents sued Honda for manufacturing seat belts that cannot be easily undone by a drunk driver who is under water.

A couple is also suing Walmart for injuries that occurred when canned items tumbled out of an 'overstuffed grocery bag' after they arrived home after a shopping experience. The bag broke when they were unpacking their groceries. Brenda Sager suffered 'cracked and damaged toenails' (and claims ligament issues)and Ronald Sager jumped on board to sue because 'during Brenda's healing process he was deprived of her comfort and her attention'. That's a lawsuit of 60 grand, folks. 

And just for da lolz, someone by the name of Heckard is suing Michael Jordan and Nike for a combination of $832 million..."I'm constantly being accused of looking like Michael and it makes it very uncomfortable for me". He's suing Jordan for defamation, permanent injury and emotional pain and suffering. He's suing Nike for defamation, and permanent injury for promoting Jordan and making him one of the most recognized men in the world.

That's 'Merica. This is the world I live in. Excuse me whilst I resume my life trying not to get arrested or sued in this bizarre place.

No comments:

Post a Comment