Monday 23 September 2013

Frat is the new black

FRATERNITY (Latin, frater; brother); a brotherhood; a distinct or formal organisation; a secret society; an organised society of men associated together in an environment (frat house) of companionship and brotherhood, dedicated to the intellectual (booze), physical (booze) and social development(booze) of its members. 
Also see; frat party, frat boys (jocks), beer kegs, beer pong
Opposite; Sorority  

I hope that sums it up. The weekend just gone in Boston was pretty full on, so I'll start with Thursday night. It's 5.30pm, my roommate comes home. We probably  haven't exchanged words for about a week. She says; QUOTE;
"Hi Caty. I'm moving out tonight."
*proceeds to pack her suitcase*
Ahhhhh....ok?
It was totally weird man. I was full of questions, but she wasn't keen to offer up too much information, she's gone to move in with her friend on BU campus. So uh yeah. Everyone mocks me and says I drove her out, but I really hope that wasn't the case! She was nice! (Although she did leave a note and call me 'Ketty' once, which I wasn't too fond of, and she also took all the cooking pots and pans and all the toilet paper, even the one off the roll! The pots and cleaning stuff, ok, because it was hers. But the toilet paper? OFF THE ROLL? Dog move). I left to have a cafeteria dining experience with a group of us,and I came back, passing her on the stairs and she totally ignored me, even though I tried to wish her all the best and was trying to be chatty. AND THEN, I get home, and she had removed everything of hers out of our apartment, without even saying a goodbye, but she miraculously managed to leave this here above her bed;


In case you can't see, that's;


A selfie of herself, that she had put up on her wall, amongst all of the 1D posters. But she took all the posters down and left her picture. 
Don't even try to tell me that was an accident. 
As if you could miss that. Go up and look at the photo of it by the bed again. Go on. 
Strange man. She was a strange one. But yay, apartment to myself until I possibly get a new roomie.

But that happened at a convenient time cause we were holding a party for Viv's 21st on Friday, so we had it at mine and truckloads of people turned up, cause we had the empty apartment. It was awesome. We had all our mates, a lot of beer and party decorations. Viv invited quite a few of her freshman friends *cringe* and they couldn't handle their liquor and started vomiting everywhere! Instantaneous reaction; pipsqueak 
freshman takes a shot, 2 seconds later vomits on my floor. Luckily Viv handled that one. Freshman, sigh. All these randoms actually turned up, cause they heard that there was a shee-bang. Every time someone knocked on the door I was worried it was the RA, so we kept the door locked, but luckily we ran into no strife with the coppas. But those freshman. Freaking freshman.


Saturday morning arrived and my place WAS A MESS. There was someone's vomit all over my kitchen floor. I don't even know who. My bet is on the freshman. Pathetic. Luckily the girls came over and we DISINFECTED my entire place. TWICE. Gross. 

As Viv said, ending the night with red cups just like we started the night with red cups

Saturday morning recovery and debrief. Apparently I look holistic with the crown
Saturday night there was a frat party that we got into too...they are pretty exclusive and you have to know someone inside to get in. But Annie's roommate knew someone. So we were sweet. The frat party was at a NEU fraternity house, and guys, it was just like I had dreamed it. Think American Pie, think all those corny college movies...that was it. LEGIT. The frat boys were all jocks, and they basically invite a bunch of people (mostly girls, typical) to their party, where it's free alcohol all night, beer pong everywhere, lots of sleazy guys around, and the drugs are insane. Luckily I stayed away from all of the above things mentioned. They do keg stands and have beer on tap...in the house and there were so many people you could barely move. The guys have this thing where one of them will raise his arms and shout "YEAHHHHH!!!!" chug his beer, and if he's still standing after it, the rest of the room will chorus "YEAHHHH!!!" and then everyone has to drink. That's American college culture for you. At one stage, I had mentioned that I had never done a keg stand, nor seen one done, and this guy was like; 
"Wait! You've never done a keg stand?!"
"Uhh, no, sorry..?"
"You're saying you have never done a keg stand?!"
"Nope"
"ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU'VE NEVER DONE A KEG STAND?"
*deep breath*
"Are you kidding me?!? GUYS SHE'S NEVER DONE A KEG STAND!!!"
Proceed with several choruses of;
"You've never done a keg stand?!"
"No! She's never done a keg stand!!"
"Wait - what?! WHO'S NEVER DONE A KEG STAND???!!!"
"Her!"
"You? You've NEVER done a KEG STAND?"
"YEAH! SHE'S NEVER DONE A KEG STAND!!!"
Luckily whilst all the chanting and awe was going on I managed to sneak away without actually having to do a keg stand. 

Ben with the Benjamins
Anyway, for me I went home to eat odd American foodies, like frozen supermarket curry and my very sweet bread with 'whipped butter'. Was is this whipped butter crap? It's terrible. Also, bypassing the store the other day I had to buy cereal (and, surprise surprise toilet paper, no thanks to you-know-who) and I had to resist every urge to buy a cereal called 'Cookies'. Yes, the catch phrase was; "It's just like eating cookies for breakfast!" No mate, that is exactly what it is. It is literally cookies, in a bowl with milk. And that's your breakfast. I had to stop my five year old self from reaching out and picking it off the shelf, that same five year old self who always had Weetbix for breakfast, and was allowed Rice Bubbles on Fridays. It's funny, how when you're a kid you want something so bad, but when you're (allegedly) and adult, you couldn't think of anything worse. If I could have ever imagined that I'd be in a position to choose Cookie Cereal for breakfast I think my head would have exploded. But alas, I deprived my five-year-old-self of Cookie Cereal yet again, and picked up the American Weetbix equivalent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment