Saturday 21 December 2013

Bye bye baby



#4
Although Dice is here and we are having so far an awesome time, I was still very aware that this was our last day in Boston. Slowly people have started trickling off…first Annie on Friday morning, a few more later that day…and a few more the next morning…soon there will be none left. Our last couple of nights in 337 have consisted of getting together more because we felt we ought to, not because it was particularly something to celebrate. It’s been great to hang out with people one last time but the mood has been deflated, with fewer people in attendance…the end is near! Dice has met most of my group and all my 337 mates, but everyone is getting ready to depart and chip off to their new adventures. Tbh leaving Boston feels like I’m having an injured limb amputated; you obviously don’t want to have your arm hacked off but you know it’s for the best because keeping it attached to your body is too painful. Boston has become a dead city; friends have gone home for the holidays or are slowly leaving to travel elsewhere and the chatter doesn’t echo in the halls anymore, I don’t bump into people in the corridors and fewer and fewer people stop by my room. Aha, Dice just saw me write that super deep last couple of lines and know she thinks I’m about to sink into a bout of depression. 




Snow snow snow



Bye bye 337
 Saying goodbye to Annie, Torben, Nicolai and Pierre were the hardest. Torben and Nicolai made us a sweet poster with all our nicknames, photos, funny stories and personal jokes from throughout the semester on it, and Annie read hers on the plane and cried. Torben expects tears from all when he says goodbye, and I’m soaking all up the Danish humour and ‘hugge’ time I can before it’s too late. People have been sleeping over in my apartment, the floor an array of sprawled mattresses and comforters.

Dice and I have, within 24 hours, turned the place into a bomb-shell, and I know Katherine would have a HEART ATTACK, literally go into cardiac arrest if she came back and saw the room. The best moment was when Dice and I were sitting at the kitchen table and she unwrapped something an literally threw the rubbish into a pile of trash bags that had begun to accumulate and overtake in the corner. Ahaha, bless her.

Packing up at the end of this day was a nightmare. LIKE A LITERAL NIGHTMARE. When Dice and I had to move out of our house in Melbourne, we left ALL THE CLEANING and packing to do the night before and we were so tired and overwhelmed and it was a terrible ordeal. It’s safe to say we pretty much did the same thing again this time. Because the rooms were all such a  mess, it was difficult to find and pack things accordingly, and I had lost my favourite pair of black socks. I was convinced it was a conspiracy. You know when it’s late, and you’re exhausted and overwhelmed and emotionally unstable and you simply CAN”T PUT THINGS TO REST? That was me. Looking back on it, they were only socks, but they are from Katmandu (probably the only thing I brag about owning from Katmandu), super warm, woolen, the best ever, kept my feet toasty, fitted with my boots perfectly and were literally my prized possession. I made poor Dice unpack her carefully-and-meticuloousy-packed-pack. She understood. I knew my socks weren’t in there, she knew her socks weren’t in there, but we still engaged in the act of unpacking and repacking. I found them, of course, where we both knew they would be, underneath a bunch of other crap on the floor.
We had a busy day today though, and it was good to get out and about, spent the day with Nicolai and soak up his last-minute-Danish-love-and-friendship. Newbury Street, Downtown Boston and then an afternoon trip out to an abandoned zoo at the end of the green line~




Newbury Street






























































Dice in the Dawg-house












Frozen over lake - hope it's safe








































No comments:

Post a Comment