Thursday 5 December 2013

Take me back

I just typed this sentence;

"Gill accurately describes this as falsifying the consensus of choice and empowerment. Implying there's no difference in the idealized and actual representations of masculinity and femininity in the 21st century. Not only do we have sexualisation of the female body, objectification to sexual subjectification but also a discourse of power and choice (Gill, 2009)."

...for my Gender studies course, obvi. 


I'm working so hard to write a final paper that when I just sat and stared at that on the screen I became so frustrated with men and life and feminism in general that I just wanted to give up. So I stared out the window for a bit and then realized that what I really want is to be writing my travel blog (despite my usual-enjoyment and glee at critically analyzing discourses through a feminist lens). And THEN I thought how utterly cool it would be if, amongst the 3,000 or so page views that the 'Merica travels have racked up, one of those people was like the editor for a travel magazine, or online travel-blog creator or WHATEVER and saw this pathetic attempt at a blog and by some strange twist of fate thought THIS WOMAN IS AMAZING AND HER WRITING IS GEWD AND I'M GOING TO EMPLOY HER ON A PART TIME BASIS (WITH A GENEROUS FULL TIME SALARY) TO SEND HER ALL AROUND THE WORLD (ALL EXPENSES PAID FOR) SO SHE CAN WRITE ABOUT ALL THE AMAZING STUFF SHE SEES AND EXPERIENCES AND I WILL MAKE LOTS OF MONEY AND THIS IS THE PERFECT UPCOMING BRIGHT NEW TALENT I HAVE SEARCHED FOR.

...AND SHE'S A FEMINIST.

If only. (But hint, if you're out there, despite the embarrassing daydream fantasy about my life as a hip and trendy nomadic writer, email me. Seriously. I'll refrain from submitting the dreary daydreams of my squishy brain.)

Anyway. Take me back to Canada. On our last morning, Torben woke us at 11am saying he had made a reservation for us at the CN Tower for lunch at 11.30. Bridge and I were ready to go in 10, and the fellas took far longer. The view was fantastic up there, we were at the very top and it was the highest tower in the world up till 2010..which made me seriously question the architecture but whatever. It was a really high class fancy restaurant and the floor actually rotated so you got a full 360 view of the whole city...it was awesome...made you feel a little dizzy but mostly ok. The food was exquisite, and the second best meal I've had since being abroad - the first was the super tasty (and notoriously expensive) meal we had in Chicago...which was also meant to be at the top of an exquisite tower overlooking the city of Chicago at night, but oh yes, Annie stuffed it up and we were seated down on the first floor, and the view was a lane way and trashcans. HOWEVER, Torben didn't take a leaf out of Annie's book and so we managed to have a fantastic meal and also an awesome view.

















































Take me back to Canada. Where the weather is so cold you can't feel your fingers, no one's cell phone works (outside the US), the prices are substantially higher, one drizzle of pure maple syrup equals 5 fillings.


Local produce market






Sleepy.

Also, shame on the US. This is an email from my RD;

"Fire Safety regulations prohibit the display of decorations in elevators, stairwells, hallways, or other confined areas.  Real evergreens or other natural decorations, such as laurel, holly or straw are not allowed.  Additionally, candles and other open flames are not permitted in any office or residence on campus.  Certain flame resistant decorative material will be permitted in lobbies and other open areas, provided they are approved in advance by our Fire Safety Office.  When you leave for the holidays, please be sure to close and secure your windows.  The cold winter air has the potential to enter even a small opening and cause pipes to freeze and burst. Happy holidays!"

Anyone who goes to university to get a degree in becoming a RD, has something seriously wrong with them if you ask me. ALSO, it goes on, le sigh; 



There were two exclamation marks in that email. TWO. Not okay. So that will make Tim's bday interesting this weekend. ANYWAY, despite the tragic-ness of the US atm, I really should get back to that terrible awful terrible awful terrible 8-page paper, so I'll post these lovely ones of the Canadian Christmas Markets.










No comments:

Post a Comment