Friday 10 January 2014

Bazillions of Brazilians


#20

One thing that will always stick with me from San Francisco is the bus drivers. 9.8976778 of the ones Dice and I have encountered seem to hate their job and personally loathe everyone who climbs aboard the bus, as if we are to blame for their career choice. We met the best bus driver ever, and she earned her title by answering our very polite question about a bus stop without a snarl. True fact. Gone are the days where the bus driver would greet you with a smile, wish you a pleasant day and let you on for free is you didn’t have enough change. No, those days are gone my friends. 










One bus driver we had looked like Professor Chan off Community. He acted that way too. He was incredibly grumpy. He yelled at Dice and told her to keep moving in and to the back of the bus, when the bus was full and we literally couldn’t move. (Caps implies shouting)

“Girls, you can’t stand there. YOU HAVE TO MOVE IN.”
“I..uhh…we can’t…”
“GIRLS. YOU HAVE TO MOVE IN. I DON’T WANT YOUR BACKPACK HITTING ME IN THE FACE.”











Staffy on le bus #shoutouttopatch


So iconic of San fran

If people would come up to the bus to get on, he’d wait for them to walk up to the open door (staring at them the whole time) and then slam the door in their faces, and proceed to drive off, leaving them standing on the curb, stunned. One poor sod was confused about something a rather and went around the outside of the bus to his small window to ask a question. He violently slammed it shut in his face (sensing a trend?) and then proceed to snarl under his breath; “get away from my bus.” Get away from my bus? Isn’t it your job to get as many people as possible ON the bus? Dice and I were stifling giggles in the not-so-back part of the bus. 





Anywho, today we spent at Golden Gate Park. There was a lot of walking involved and surprisingly Dice complained more than we about it, but I think she was in pain. The bison paddock became my new ‘Moose Brooks’ and I was keen as a green bean to see the bisons. Dice – not so thrilled, especially because they took so long to get there. She was however, deeply concerned and preoccupied with this DOG, whilst the bisons were hanging out in the paddock a mere 5 meters away! And she didn’t even realize. I honestly sometimes don’t know why we are friends. BISONS PEOPLE. They’re the largest animal native to North America and were very close to extinction because all the Americans basically shot their faces off for their hide and horns, and also to cut off the primary food source for the Native Americans. And they’re HUGE too. Buffalo family, kids. Maybe I have this strange and unexplained longing to associate and love big animals, predominantly ones that are at least 6 foot, like my lovely self. And one guy 100 years ago saw a herd 5 miles wide and 12 miles long. Dude, there were like 30-60 MILLION bison roaming around the plains 100 years ago. Awesome. If I could go back in time and be transported to a native bison herd, I would. Wicked. Super excited about the bisons. 



America's on it


Got some #newshoes #canyoutell

This outfit is for you, Bront


Dice in a tree


Fairy garden






Every time I see them.... *shakes head*




Dice's dog (she had one when she was a kid) #sentiment


Golden Gate Park is 3 times as big as central. And probably (excluding the bisons) less pretty. 








We spent NYE playing board games with Americans and Scots from the hostel, eating Chinese food and then drinks started flowing in the delightful company of our Brazilian roommates. We danced, we talked and we all headed to the wharf to see the fireworks. Personally, I entered the New Year on top of a Brazilian man’s shoulders (named Drusko) watching the magic (chaos) of San Francisco unfold before me. I made a wish, and although I missed our NYE at the beach with the company I usually have at home, like with Christmas, there was no place I’d rather be.


I don’t think you’re supposed to tell people your wishes, so sorry.


~Happy New Years!~

No comments:

Post a Comment