Thursday 30 January 2014

We are family

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

I suppose memories are all we have a the end of the day...when I’m no longer typing away at the laptop, when the pictures have been cleared from the computer and are stacked in CDs on the shelf, when reminiscent moments of your trip become less and less frequent, it’s only the memories you hold, that are uniquely special to you and you only.














 I’ve been thinking ALL DAY about a super cute (and relatively wanky) way to describe this; and I’ve finally come up with the conclusion that…WAIT FOR IT;

Family can be like a tree. The branches all grow in different directions, but the roots always remain as one/from the same place/get the root pun. I won’t tell you how long it took me to come up with that. I hoped you enjoyed it.

Tante Erika helped me go through old Austrian birth, death and marriage certificates and I constructed my Gierer Family Tree...up to 8 generations back. So that was wicked cool, and I think that's where the tree pun came from.

My last afternoon I spent wandering the mountain region alone, enjoying the crisp air and marvellous views. Then, more family visiting in the afternoon.








I’ve come up with a couple of sure-fire ways to fit in, and be as Austrian-as-possible, should you ever find yourself amongst the hills in the future;

~  Be on time. If you’re expected at 3.30pm, and it’s 3.33 – you’re late.
~ Try your best Austria-German dialect. Learn the different accents on the words, and the substitutes they have for things.
~ Get used to smoking. The Austrians haven’t quite updated their smoking laws..so it’s everywhere, in pubs, restaurants, cafes.
 Eat diary. Like, a lot of dairy.
~ If you’re a vegetarian – show yourself out.
 Be neat and tidy.
~ Be fit. These guys love strenuous activities; like cross country skiing, hiking, mountain climbing and the such.
~ It would pay well to be into winter sports.
~ Grow a moustache. Wear a felt hat with a feather in it.
~ Get used to coffee and cake 3 times daily.
~  Dance and sing. These guys love a good party; wherever I was there was always Austria folk music playing, and after a bit to drink the dancing followed. If you can walk and talk you can dance and sing.



#leftEisenerz



Tante Minnel, Onkel Rudy

#carselfie

No comments:

Post a Comment