Monday 13 January 2014

The most magical place on earth

#25 #noticethecreeperintheback
If you've ever ventured even CLOSE to a Disneyland around the world you will know that it's the most magical place on earth. Not even kidding. It is, it always has been and it always will be. No matter how old you are, you are NEVER too old to engage in a child fantasy, believe in fairies or wish upon a star and be lost in the magic of Disney. I was brought up with it - it's a large part of  my childhood and a small part of my soul. (Although as I've grown up and looked back upon my childhood favourite Disney movies, after my gender studies through university I've grown accustomed to looking at them with a feminist gaze, but I won't start because I don't want to ruin them for you, or for myself for that matter, as I've not yet been able to fully accept the feminist stance. That being that Disney portrays very patriarchal views about adult life and sets horrendous examples of the adult life to young children growing up in the 21st century. The notions of 'true love' and romance are falsified, and better yet the portrayal of; the life, dress code, attitude and behaviour a woman is supposed to adhere to makes me bang my head on the table. BUT having said all that, Disney movies that are post-2000 tend to be working on that. I'm not sure if some academics provided some pretty harsh criticism or there were scholarly articles published, but I've seen improvements (minus the classical fairy tale ending, which will never cease to exist, it's Disney). A couple of the examples that come to mind (and I haven't seen them all so spare my soul if I'm wrong); Brave,  Tangled, Mulan, ect. If anyone knows anything about that actually, let me know, would you? Or I could look it up in my spare time, but sheesh, my life is demanding atm. And also, it can't be too bad cause I grew up with Disney princesses, believed 110% in their motto and I turned out alright. In fact, I turned out to be a little too alright on the pro-feminist scale.

And there you go, the thing I said I wouldn't talk about and I've just punched a decent paragraph out about it. 
In any case; where the magic happens!







Not satisfied to find our tasty treats all mashed up



I look like I have no hair. #spacemountain

^^ This guy


Bug eyes

Bug eyes



















Classic Disney proposal. What we've always dreamed of

Note our height compared to Micky.




Most magical place on earth



Being a general dork

Before Space Mountain shot






...and for what is to follow, I apologize. #sorrynotsorry
Princess Aurora <3

Princess Jasmine <3

Cinderella <3




Tinkerbell <3

Fairy Fawn <3



This is the depiction of Australia in It's A Small World. I have no idea what the big Native Indian totem pole face is doing there. Nor do I understand why the koalas are blue and pink.




I'm 20 years old and today I went to Disneyland and bought a princess tiara. It was spectacular. 


Again, no hair. Why?!?!
One thing will always amuse me about California Disneyland. WHY do (mostly Americans) buy Disney shirts, and most popular, the Micky/Minnie Mouse ears and wear them all day? Maybe it's like, a thing, but I can't seem to find any logical reason as to why people would go to deliberately buy merchandise for themselves only to wear it around the park all day. It's not like you'd ever wear it again. I don't recall seeing that in Euro Disney 2 years ago. But hey, that's Disneyland for you, and it's the most magical place on earth, so whatcha gonna do.

No comments:

Post a Comment