Tuesday 7 January 2014

Botanical Bamboozle


#16


After the splendours of last night we woke refreshed (well, at least I did, but then again my painkillers are still kicking in pretty hard). I do this thing often, where I think my life is life a movie, and I approach all things with the grace of Elizabeth Taylor, and I am a cultured, well rounded individual who always looks fabulous and whose hair is always blow-waved. So with our CamelFM tunes to assist, we headed to an art gallery.

Another sunny day in Feenix








 
Dat right







At home, I work as a gallery receptionist. It’s a fantastic place and I love working there a lot (unlike a lot of things I will actually be pleased to go back, considering I haven’t actually worked a day in the last 5 months) and it’s nice.  From someone who lied profusely to get through an interview to work there, I pretended I was far more arty farty than I was, but in actual sense, I think I really am a teeny tiny bit at heart. ANYWAY with the grace of Grace Kelly (can you even double-Grace if one’s a name and one’s a verb? Noun? Adjective? I don’t know). I do know, that in my absence of being all cultured and well-rounded at the gallery my English has apparently gone down the drain. 






Feeeeeeenixxxx





#torben


Lazy afternoons in the hammock, playing rounds of ‘Would you rather…’ with Dice, me never failing to come up with the most absurd and difficult topics, covering all bases of life. We read one just before actually, that, AND NO I DID NOT COME UP WITH THIS ONE IT WAS FROM THE INTERNET I SWEAR;

Would you rather kill (with your bare hands) a human baby OR 100 cute puppies? (pictures supplied for each)

I’m not going to tell your our answers.

But apart from those morbid questions, we sung, I succeeded in kicking Dice in the head about twenty times. And we had lunch in the sun. No Boxing Day sales here folks.















If ‘yall remember back to New Hampshire, very early on when I started my adventures in the US of A, Moose Brooks was a particular treasured place I longed to visit, (and succeeded in whining all the way to get there). The Desert Botanical Gardens was yet another Moose Brooks. And I have made plenty of references to ‘The New Moose Brooks’, depending on which new overtly-expensive, tourist-trappy and horrendously boring and lame attraction I can find in each new city. Honestly, I am an advertisers dream. Throw me a fancy pamphlet or a discount coupon and BAM we are going. Make the name sound exotic and far-from-the-truth-of-the-attraction and BAM we are going. Put an overtly-big and trashy sign on the Route 60 North highway out of Feenix and BAM I’m pulling over and we by hell as sure are going. I remember fondly (and my mother reminded me when I last spoke to her, which brought back tender sweet memories) of when we visited a cactus farm in rural Victoria years ago. Another highway sign, another distraction from the long drive to our final destination, another excuse to pile the kids out of the car and have a look at the ‘World Famous Cactus Farm! Biggest and most diverse range of cacti in the country!! Cool drinks and refreshments inside at the cafĂ©!’

Desert botanical gardens




Thrilling





It was, in actual fact, someone’s backyard, in which the had planted a truckload of cacti, formed some roundabout paths with rocks and debris, and thrown some dirt piles in between as to fulfil the advertising promise of ‘getting lost in the maze of cacti!’ The refreshments were, warm cans of lemonade that had been sitting in the sun for about 20 years, and the price was collected by mum throwing a fiver at the elderly gentleman, of which he pocketed, and then went back to his lounge room to watch the cricket.
Now I’m on a roll, another memory jumps to mind, holidaying down at the beach in Melbourne, out Port Fairy way, when Mum and Dad thought it’d be a good idea to visit this old volcano that is allegedly famous and massive and was a big deal a long time ago – and get this – WAS ACTUALLY LIVE some billion years ago. The young and eager age I was, Dad promised I’d get to take a little piece of the volcano home with me; obviously I had visions of a monstrous volcano, over 20 storeys high, spewing lava and smoke, and me rock climbing to the top to venture down the monstrous volcano’s edge via bungy jump to retrieve my treasured molten rock.


In actual fact, it was a crater in the ground, in the middle of nowhere, with some dried up scora lying about. Fair certain I took my ‘souvenir’ of the volcano from the parking lot, actually.
The jazz band was the most memorable, with our favourite guy Craig on the sax, and watching old people jive and swing dance together warmed our hearts. 






#rudefinger

Strike a pose

Strike a pose



Anywho, the point is. I was (probably at the hands of my parents) so excited about the desert botanical gardens and Dice sort of just went along with it. Needless to say, it was overpriced, the beauty (can cactuses even be beautiful?)over exaggerated and despite the raving reviews form the locals, not that exciting.
Dice refrained from muttering “I told you so”, which I appreciated.


To end the day, an all 'Merican kitsch diner dinner, which I also appreciated.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment