Monday 27 January 2014

The food of my people

Last night I lived a life full of many luxuries. The luxury of having a bath (a bath!) before hopping into a warm bed, free of roommates, AND I HAD PAJAMAS. I cannot believe how lucky I am. After a peaceful slumber, I woke to a table full of food, even though I was still full from last night’s feasting. I don’t think there is anyone in the history of Austria, who has walked away from an Austrian table feeling hungry. It just isn’t possible. Not only are there three courses, with beer and/or wine, but then there’s coffee and cake. And then biscuits and coffee liquer. And then nuts or dates or pretzels with schnapps. And then more wine, whilst gossiping and playing cards. Oh, and GOOD NEWS I found my new favourite European beer. It’s called ‘Gössling’ and I sure hope I can get my hands on it in Melbs. I may as well disguard the belt I wear with my jeans – I just don’t need it anymore and it’s taking up space.





Leopoldsteinersee – a lake in the mountains. Absolutely astounding, know I know why Austria is so desirable. Breathtaking. Again, it seems you can’t walk ten meters in this town without something significant hitting you in the face. My great aunt told me stories of when they were kids, and they used to swim here in summer. My grandfather even had a small boat in the boat house that is still standing when he was younger. I was told stories of my uncle Gerald, who enjoys time here too when he visits.  And of my father, who clambered around the rocks when younger.











When in Austria;


These guys were spotting mountain goats clambering up and around the mountains. For you Clam!

Omg tiny cute puppy we found


This rock fell down from the top of the mountain in 2003






We picked up the little cheeky Moritz, who is the son of the cousin of my father…so I don’t think he’s anything to me, but hell, every second person is a Gierer-related clan member. It’s only 6, but his Asutrain ddialect and quick paced voice makes it very difficult for me to understand him, but we spend our afternoons playing and communicating non verbally. For example, snow ball fights require no linguistic understanding. So much snow man, and terribly cold. If I were a skier I would have been in heaven, but unlucky for me, I think I’ll never venture near such a daring winter sport again, after one-to-many ‘incidents’. 













But you know, it’s here, and the snowballs were enough for me.
The afternoon brought many a more family-fun-times. I’m treated like the Queen in terms of popularity, it seems as if everyone wants to meet me, touch my hair, shake my hand, that sort of thing. I even heard my aunts arguing in fairly-stern tones about who would cook lunch for me, and where I would stay, and with whom I would spent time with, ect. Luckily, I just sort of stand and smile, and then we all end up hanging out.










After food food and more food, our evening was spent  with relatives, sharing stories from my home, my travels and many are keen to learn about the way of life in Australia, our customs and culture. It seems also, as if everyone has learnt of my backpack mishaps...I think I have the family grapevine to thank for that – news travels fast. Surprisingly everyone I met, (some people I’ve never met before), and the first thing they’ll say to me is; ‘Nice to meet you! Glad you’re here, have you heard about your backpack?’ Honestly, there's not a single soul in Eisenerz who doesn’t know about the backpack. It is also with great pride that my Aunt tells tales of me travelling across Eastern Europe alone, only to be met with ‘ohhs’ and ‘ahhs’ of the family. That’s a culture clash that I first realised four years ago, and every time I’m back it remains the same; the Austrians are very good at saying what, when, where, how and why, and me, on the other hand, the Australian blood in me means, I just sort of vaguely plod about life, and in a relaxed manner book accommodation/catch a train/leave planning up to chance. When someone asked where I was going next I answered, ‘Salzburg…I think’. When they asked when I was going I said ‘I’m not quite sure’ only to have everyone explode in fits of laughter around the table. When someone had calmed themselves enough to string a sentence together and asked where I would be staying or what time the train was I, looking quite confused at the reaction said, ‘I have no idea’. And that pushed them over the edge. They were holding their sides, banging fists on the table and the hilarity of my planning. Didn’t know I was quite the comedian.








Anywho, whilst this atrocity was going on, more cake was brought out and of course, I obliged. So a warning to those who greet me when I return;

It won’t be ‘where’s Caty?’ when I walk through the gateat the airport, but rather ‘I wish that overtly large woman waddling though would get out of the way so I can see where Caty is’.


I say that in a sarcastic tone, but I’m actually that serious it’s not even funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment