Sunday 19 January 2014

It just gets better and better

Main Square

Number one fan of the fruit stalls



The hostel is quite nice, even though my memories of it will be tainted by frustrating phone calls and strongly-worded emails to railway systems. My roommate is a Bosnian-born-Australian, and he's pretty cool. We sort of spend our evenings watching telly or movies, which is nice. Croatia has a great nightlife, I sampled a small portion of it, but with lack of things, I'm more inclined to spend the day getting really really cold and then coming home and spending the night in. After all the nights on the road so far, it's nice to sort of take it easy in Croatia. Bosnia Boy often goes out, only to come back and report to me later that night, before we catch up on the Australian Open. Bosnia Boy's snoring has, gotten worse actually. And he has a strange odour to him. I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but it's kinda funky. 

This has happened increasingly over the last few days; I need one of my possessions, until it sinks in, INFURIATINGLY that I don't have it, because it's - in my pack. My phone charger, so I can set an alarm - in my pack. Earplugs - in my pack. Shampoo - in my pack. I've been cleaning myself with disinfectant from the soap dispensers in the bathroom. I think I went for two days before realising I had to go to the shops. It's irritating, buying things like underwear, and socks - when I know it's so unnecessary, because I have ample in my pack! If only. 

Le sigh. 

But, like the girls downstairs told me, at least I get a new wardrobe. And luckily I lost all this in Eastern Europe. I'd be quite a Negative Nancy if I had, lets's say, lost it in France, or - God forbid - Zurich, where it would cost me $11 for a bottle of shampoo. So, at least things are cheap. Now I just look like a walking H&M model. I shouldn't be draining my bank account, but they should be paying me, because EVERYTHING I NOW OWN is from H&M. I got these cute little Hello Kitty socks, that make me smile every time I glance down at them. But just like...you know when all your colour tones match a little too well, and every layer compliments one another? I look like that. A little too matching. But, you know, things could be worse.

Things could be worse. Indeed. Me and Bosnia Boy have a new roommate. Her name is Sarah and she's American (*gasp*). I miss them already. I really truly do miss the Americans, it's back to them being bright, shiny novelties when you meet. I unloaded all my distress of the situation onto her, and she listened patiently. Then she told me a story, which made me feel a hell of a lot better; a few years back, she moved down to Florida for college. She had picked up her life and moved it interstate, into a new apartment. After moving everything in, she headed to a relatives for the night. The next day, she received a phone call, notifying her of the apartment fire, that had in fact, burnt almost everything she owned. But, luckily there were a few things that could be salvaged from the ashes. Not a lot, but as we all know, some stuff is better than no stuff. She went over to sort through the soot and clean up what was left. that night, she returned to her relatives. The next morning she got a phone call, notifying her that someone broke into her blackened apartment and stole her remaining things. 

So.








My last day, the rains came and I sort of, admittedly, messed up my travel plans a little bit, by not checking that there is only one train to Budapest every day, and it leaves at 10am. So, never mind, I just hung about here for a bit longer. With a day left, and terrible weather, and not a lot else to see, I did what any sensible person would do; bought a day ticket and rode the trams all day. I went out to the suburbs, I went through the city, I went out to the sports fields, universities and to the very end of a lot of lines. I'd always sort of pop off, grab a coffee, or a bite to eat, have a wander, hop back on and enjoy my little homemade-sight-seeing-tour. It was fun - I'm glad I did it, it's a cool way to stay warm and mostly dry,and you get to just absorb life whizzing past you, and experience some of the non-tourist areas. 







I've figured that considering I've survived America over the past 5 months and so far have escaped prosecution, I can survive without this backpack I guess. And if I can survive Croatia without being followed by a rabid dog, then I'm also doing quite well. Sarah also had some bad luck in Iceland, whereby she LOST her DSLR camera and enormous memory card on the last day of her trip, that had all the photos from her previous 3 month holiday. No back ups, nothing. All gone. So, considering how shit things could be, I guess I'm alright. 

Actually, speaking of being alright, here's a story for you, something I'll never forget...and I guarantee you won't either. I can already tell I'm going to regret this. I should have made this blog anonymous. Actually no, cause you'd all still know it was me hah. On the 2nd day in Zagreb, (prior to the H&M spree) I was still freezing and had no clothes. The receptionist took pity on me and found a blanket I could take with me. It was a very vibrant orange colour, but it wasn't like I could say no. I  still didn't know what was happening with the luggage at that point, so I was prepared to take anything. Now, to say that I wasn't exactly proud of my appearance for those first few days in Croatia would be an accurate statement to make. So I set off that day, with the blanket draped around me, wearing old scruffy clothes that I'd been in for 4 days, with no makeup, my hair was kinda matted due to the disinfectant soap situation, and also I had no brush, conditioner or hairdryer so my fridge especially was having a good time breaking free and running wild. I carried me old backpack that was ripped at the sides. But still, I was having a ball. A fantastic time. Croatia is 100% an under appreciated place. In my opinion it's left of the map a little bit but Eastern Europe (I've only seen Zagreb and Prague) kicks ass. It seems to be looked over, and it shouldn't be. 

Anyway, back to the disgraceful story that is 100% true. I couldn't make this up. 

I climbed up a wall to see the top of the city. I also found a secret garden which was another little hidey hole. I was milling about, enjoying the view, enjoying the day, truth be told - enjoying the blanket, not gonna lie, it was mighty warm. I perched myself on a concrete step on a popular walkway, wrapped myself up and pulled out this old tattered book I was reading that I had exchanged at the hostel library. All the little details are absolutely necessary for this to make sense you see - the things like the tattered book, the ripped bag, my dirty clothes, my wild hair...

Because I was reading away, when I heard a clink by my feet, I looked up, and someone had thrown me some change.

Yes. That actually happened. I wish I was kidding.

I sort of looked up, surprised, looked for the owner, but he/she was long gone, and I thought maybe someone dropped it, but it seemed pretty unlikely, people weren't walking that close to me; meaning that someone had gone out of their way to come and give this poor homeless girl some change. 

When I chipped off, I passed on my change on to another brother in need.

Croatia just keeps getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment