Sunday 26 January 2014

I'm at a payphone

I’m on the train to Austria now, and it has just been brought to my attention that it has started snowing. Brilliant. The H&M model may struggle through an Eastern European winter but will not, CAN NOT survive the Austrian winter. No. Way. In. Hell. I’ve just got to be thankful that I’m heading to stay with my Tante Erika in Eisenerz, which entails quite a few good things. Number one; no hostel bed for a bit. No snorers. No serial coughers. None of that. Number two; a home cooked meal, before I have to roll myself up to bed, or sleep sitting in my dinner chair. Number three; the comfort and sense of security that comes from familial relations. Number four; someone to pick me up at the station and quite frankly, take care of me for a bit. I don’t have to worry about where I’m sleeping that night, how to get to different places, I don’t have to always lock up my luggage and watch my back. But as of right now, I’m sitting and typing this (surprise surprise) on a terribly cold train platform in Vienna. Also seems to be a pastime that I’m favouring these days. Sitting on cold platforms in winter, somewhere I’m not meant to be. I’m typing with my gloves on, and it’s working out surprising well so far, I only have to occasionally pause to use the mouse pad, blow my nose or look up wistfully and gaze out into the crisp winter air.

I’m running a little behind schedule as I had to trek all over Vienna this morning to try and track down my backpack. So I rode around on the public transport system for a bit – man is it good to be understood again! I passed some favourite places of my last trip to Vienna, and it was a bittersweet passing through, wishing I could stay for a little (Before you ask, YES TEHRE’S A WOMBATS IN VIENNA). But nonetheless, my pack is lost, and after a long conversation with the lady at the Lost and Found, she seems to have concluded that someone has stolen it. So that’s it really, game over. There’s nowhere else it could possibly be, it’s been two weeks, and it doesn’t look like anyone has handed it in, so goodbye backpack and all my stuff. When I think about it, bad stuff does occasionally happen to me, but considering one trip I lost my camera with all the photos on it and had it returned, I left my passport at an airport in the US, and had it returned, I’ve put my wallet down countless times only to go back and discover it’s still there…I’ve been pretty lucky, on the whole. And anyway, I think I’m riding it out, the scales are balancing. Considering I’ve fare evaded at least once in every city and haven’t yet been caught, you know, the universe has gotta be giving me some sort of lenience. Anywho, I just used a payphone for the first time in like, 10 years. Had to phone my Tante Erika to let her know that I’ll be late. I felt a little like an old person trying to use a computer for the first time…the immediate rising panic that I don’t know how to use this strange piece of technology. But yes. It was quite fun actually. Leaning against the wall in the booth, on the payphone. Doing my thing, on the payphone. Twirling the phone cord, in the booth, on the payphone.
Anywho, signing off from a very cold Vienna, but I’m heading off to eat some sausages now, so I’ll be feeling mighty jolly in about 11 minutes.


Ulgh, I just heard an announcement for a train arrival from the dreaded Klagenfurt. I think my eye will twitch for eternity when I hear that station’s name. The station where everything went wrong. Le sigh. To prevent myself plotting revenge against Klagenfurt and everyone who resides in the city – I have two options. 1; go and get a bratwurst, or 2; go and use the payphone again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment