Monday 13 January 2014

Loss of a limb

#26










Meanwhile, Boston is in the middle of one of the worst snowstorms the East Coast has ever seen (not my words mate), my friends tell me school ahs been cancelled, the snow is knee high and it's so cold the kettle's 'hot water' is luke warm. Flights have been affected, people are literally housebound and people have died. It's fairly hectic over there atm. Shoutout to all my Bostonian buddies. But never fear good old Patrick (some important official) in Boston has given Bostonians some sound advice;

"Minimize outside activities," Patrick said at  the state's emergency management headquarters. "This is pretty, in some respects, it's nice to look at. But these temperatures are very, very dangerous."

Yes folks, at the forefront of Patrick's mind is every American's ability to be dumbfounded by the prettiness of the snow.

Snow blankets Boston
Officials warn of extreme temperatures
At least 13 died in winter storm
First major snowstorm of 2014 intensifies


Dice left me today. I thought (as always) that it would be ok. But it really wasn’t. She was on standby for a flight, and amidst cancellations and being bumped down in the queue we really didn’t know if she would get on. We spent the whole evening listening and dancing to our favourite songs on the bus, sharing fried chicken and playing our favourite games like ‘Would you rather’ and asking difficult life questions, contemplating our small existence in the world. I mean it when I say this – at this point in time nobody knows me better than this girl. It’s like she sees right through me, and literally knows all my thoughts and how I operate. She gets me. She knows how I tick. And I to her – I had to prevent a Dice Breakdown when she thought she might not get on the plane. Because I could foresee it happening so luckily I was able to swoop in and use all my forces to stop it before the full shaking crying mess of a breakdown took hold. (And just for the record, that didn’t happen, she didn’t succumb to the emotional stress).






It happened sort of suddenly I suppose, we were just sitting, hanging out, talking, looking at things, then at each other and laughing when we didn’t even need to say anything. We can communicate non-verbally, I swear. SIDE NOTE: Don’t forget we had another blooming 20 kilo box as well, because of the monstrosity that is her influence on my bank balance and our desire to shop. Another box. It was (yet again) another nightmare on public transport. I can’t believe we put ourselves through that again. But I didn’t have my pack so all I was responsible for way the box. It was ok.


At the airport for hours, amusing ourselves in our own little ways, and then suddenly we were making arrangements for a night at the Comfort Inn because she wasn’t going to get on the flight and hell, I was looking forward to another night of massages, giggles, our favourite tunes, room service and a big fluffy white double bed.
But then her flight was called, and she simply walked away from me.


Just like that.
I had spent every last waking minute with Dice for the past 28 days, 27 nights, 730.5 hours, 44,640 minutes and 98,241,000 seconds.

Like a loss of a limb, folks.

Fair to say we both had a breakdown, and during our last hug I never wanted to let her go.

I rode the bus back like a Zombie, kinda numb, pale faced and shaky, snot dripping down my face.
Looking back on it, I can understand why that little girl ran between her mother’s legs to hide away from me.

A frightening mess.

I feel asleep without Dice in my bed, and like missing an arm, something was not quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment